When you verify your phone number, people who have your phone number can contact you through Hangouts.
What happens when you verify your phone number
- People with your phone number can find and contact you, or see personal contact information that you've made available through Google services, such as Hangouts and caller ID. Learn more about caller ID.
- This won’t make your number visible to others. To change this, visit About me.
If you don't want people finding your personal information on Google, you can turn off this setting. Learn more about what happens if people find your personal information on Google and how to turn it off.
Verifying your phone number
Verify your phone number when you first sign in
- When you sign in to Hangouts for the first time, you’ll be asked to verify your phone number. To edit your phone number, tap the number.
- Confirm the number and tap Next.
- Enter the verification code that you receive by text message.
- Tap Next.
- After you see the "Verified" message, tap Done.
Verify your phone number when you’re already signed in
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Hangouts app .
- Tap Menu Settings.
- Select your Google account.
- Tap Verify phone number.
Remove your verified phone number
- Make sure you're signed in to your Google Account.
- On your phone’s web browser, open your Google Account's phone settings.
- Tap Edit .
- Select Remove number Remove number.