Verify your phone number in Hangouts
When you verify your phone number, people who have your phone number can contact you through Hangouts.
What happens after you verify your phone number
- People who have your phone number can find you, contact you, and see information that you've made available (email, profile photo, and other contact info) through Google services, like Hangouts and caller ID by Google. Learn more about caller ID.
- Your phone number won't be publicly shared, unless you turn on sharing through Google+.
Verify your phone number
Verify your phone number when you first sign in
- When you sign in to Hangouts for the first time, you’ll be asked to verify your phone number. To edit your phone number, tap the number.
- Confirm the number and tap Next.
- Enter the verification code you receive in a text message.
- Tap Next.
- After you see the "Verified" message, tap Done.
Verify your phone number when you’re already signed in
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Hangouts app .
- Tap Menu Settings.
- Select your Google Account.
- Tap Verify phone number.
Remove your verified phone number
- On your phone’s web browser, open the phone settings in your Google Account.
- Tap Edit .
- Select Remove number.
Brenna is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.