You can send and receive messages with one person or multiple people.
Start a conversation
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Hangouts app .
- At the bottom right, tap Add .
- Type and select a person's name.
- Enter your message. You can also add emojis, photos, or a sticker.
- Tap Send .
You can control who can send you messages. Learn how to change your invite settings.
When you select your Hangout window:
- The message will be marked as read. This means that the message will no longer appear as bold and your profile image shows up under the last message sent in the conversation.
- If you close or minimize your Hangout window, your profile photo will not appear.
- People can also see the type of device you use and if you’re online. Learn how to change these settings.