Start a Hangout
Hangouts lets you send messages, emoji, photos, and start video calls with your friends and family. You can start a Hangout from Gmail, Google+, your Android or iOS device, or with the Chrome extension.
First time using Hangouts? Learn how to connect with your friends and family.
Start a Hangout with someone who has a Google account
If you start a Hangout with someone who uses Hangouts, Gmail, or Google+, they’ll receive a notification the next time they sign in. If you are not in a circle they have enabled for Hangouts, or if you haven’t used Google Chat or Talk with them before, they will get a Hangouts request.
Start a Hangout with someone who does not have a Google account
If you start a Hangout with someone who doesn’t have a Google account, an invitation will be sent to their email address asking them to get Hangouts.
Here's how you start a Hangout
- Select the people you want to have a Hangout with. Here are three ways to find people:
- Find people by scrolling through your Hangouts list.
- Click the + button at the top of your Hangouts list and type a name, email address, or phone number.
- Search for a Google+ circle using the search box at the top of your Hangouts list.
- Click the grey check mark next to the person’s name or the circle.
- Repeat the first two steps to add additional people.
- Click the message button or the video call button .
If you have enabled the Hangouts Chrome extension, Hangouts started in Gmail or Google+ will open outside of the browser window.
And here's how to start a Hangout from your Google+ page.