You can send and receive messages with one person or multiple people.
- Classic Hangouts is being replaced by Google Chat for everyone. You are no longer able to use classic Hangouts on most platforms. Learn about the switch from classic Hangouts to Google Chat.
- If you use Google Chat and not classic Hangouts, visit send a Google Chat message to a person or group.
- On your computer, go to hangouts.google.com.
- At the top, click New conversation .
- Enter and select a name or email address.
- Type your message. You can also add emojis and photos.
- On your keyboard, press Enter.
You can control who can send you messages. Learn how to change your invite settings.
When you select your Hangout window:
- The message will be marked as read. This means that the message will no longer appear as bold and your profile image shows up under the last message sent in the conversation.
- If you close or minimize your Hangout window, your profile photo will not appear.
- People can also see the type of device you use and if you’re online. Learn how to change these settings.