You can send and receive messages with one person or multiple people.
- Some users may have already been moved to Google Chat and may no longer be able to use classic Hangouts on some platforms.
- If you use Google Chat and not classic Hangouts, visit send a Google Chat message to a person or group.
- On your computer, go to hangouts.google.com or open Hangouts in Gmail. If you have the Hangouts Chrome extension, Hangouts will open in a new window.
- At the top, click new conversation .
- Enter and select a name or email address.
- Type your message. You can also add emojis and photos.
- On your keyboard, press Enter.
You can control who can send you messages. Learn how to change your invite settings.
When you select your Hangout window:
- The message will be marked as read. This means that the message will no longer appear as bold and your profile image shows up under the last message sent in the conversation.
- If you close or minimise your Hangout window, your profile photo won't appear.
- People can also see the type of device that you use and if you’re online. Learn how to change these settings.