Hangouts in Gmail
You can easily communicate with your family and friends through Hangouts in Gmail. You can make phone calls, have face-to-face video calls, and share photos. Group Hangouts also allow you to chat with up to 150 people.
What you need to get started with Hangouts in Gmail
- A Google Account.
- Hangouts is automatically turned on in Gmail, so open Gmail to start having conversations.
- When you start a video call, allow Hangouts to access your computer's mic and camera.
- Internet Explorer, Firefox & Safari browsers: Download and install the latest version of the Hangouts plugin.
Turn off Hangouts and use Google Chat
You can go back to using Google Chat at any time.
- Open Hangouts in Gmail.
- Click your name.
- Click Revert to old Chat.
- Gmail will refresh, and you can start using Google Chat. Learn more about using Google Chat.
Turn on Hangouts in Gmail from Google Chat
You can try the new Hangouts from the menu in Google Chat.
- Open Gmail.
- At the top of your Google Chat list, click your profile photo.
- Click Try the new Hangouts.
- Gmail will refresh, and you can start using Hangouts.
Brenna is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.