Sign in to or out of Hangouts
If you sign in to or out of Hangouts on one device, it won't automatically sign you in to or out of Hangouts on your other devices. For example, if you're signed in on your computer, you aren't automatically signed in on the mobile app.
You can open Hangouts from any of the following places:
- Gmail, or Inbox by Gmail
- Google Contacts
- Hangouts Chrome extension
- Hangouts Chrome app
Sign in to Hangouts
- Open hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Enter your Google account information.
- Click Sign in.
- If you're in Gmail, after your inbox opens, you may have to click Sign in in the Hangouts section.
Sign in to multiple accounts
To use Hangouts with multiple accounts at the same time, you can do one of the following:
- Use a different browser for each account. For example, sign in to one account using Chrome and another account using Firefox.
- Set up a separate Chrome profile for each account.
With separate Chrome profiles, you can then switch between profiles in separate Chrome windows. Or install the Hangouts Chrome extension or the Chrome desktop app on each profile and see your messages pop up on your desktop.
Sign out of Hangouts
Sign out at hangouts.google.com
If you sign out of Hangouts at hangouts.google.com, you're also signing out of other Google services, including Gmail, Inbox and Google+.
- Open Hangouts at hangouts.google.com.
- Click your profile photo in the top-right corner.
- Click Sign out.
Sign out in Gmail, Inbox or classic Google+
Signing out of Hangouts in Gmail, Inbox or classic Google+ won't sign you out of Hangouts at hangouts.google.com. To show yourself as offline, close your hangouts.google.com window.
- Open Hangouts in Gmail.
- At the top of your Hangouts list, click the Down arrow .
- Scroll to the bottom and click Sign out of Hangouts.
Tip: If you don't want to sign out of Hangouts but would like to temporarily stop notifications, snooze notifications by clicking the Down arrow > Mute notifications for... and selecting a duration.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.