See who's available
View your Hangouts contacts and see which ones are online in the Contacts list.
View your contacts
Conversation tab : This list shows all your existing Hangouts conversations, with the most recent ones on top. You can see the number of unread conversations at the bottom of the window on the Hangouts conversation icon.
Contacts tab : This list shows all your contacts in Hangouts. On your computer, the list is sorted by your pinned contacts on top, then available contacts, and then unavailable contacts.
You can pin someone's name to the top of your Contacts list so that you always see them, even if they're not available.
- Open Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Open the Contacts tab .
- Point to someone's name, and click Options .
- Click Pin to top.
You can remove someone from this section by clicking Options > Unpin.
See who's available
To see if someone is on Hangouts, look at their profile photo in your Contacts or Conversation tabs.
- Available: If someone is online, a green circle will show on their profile photo. New messages and video call invitations will be sent right away, and people will see them depending on their notifications settings.
- Not available: If there isn't a green circle on someone's profile photo, they're not available on Hangouts. They'll be notified about messages and video call invites, but they may not see them immediately. These people could be idle, have their last-seen setting turned off, or aren't signed in to Hangouts.
If someone has the last-seen setting turned on, you can see a timestamp of when they were last seen, like "15m ago" or "yesterday."
- Search for someone's name or email address, and look next to their name in the search results.
- Open a conversation with someone, and look at the top of the chat window under their name.
Note: The timestamp shown in the Conversation tab is when you sent or received the last message with that contact, not when they were last seen.
If you're using Google Chat or a third-party chat app, you'll see green, red, orange, or gray dots next to people's names for their status. See what the different statuses mean.
- If a contact is available in Google Chat, they'll also show as available in Hangouts.
- If they're idle, busy, or not available in Google Chat, they'll be unavailable in Hangouts too.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.