You can connect with family, friends or colleagues through face-to-face video calls. Video calls can include up to:
- 10 people for Gmail and Google Workspace Basic
- 25 people for Business and Education
Tip: If you use Hangouts to start a Google Meet video call, the number of participants that you can have may change. Learn more about participant limits for Google Meet.
Important: When you block a user on Google Hangouts, they can’t message you in Hangouts ,but they can still join Google Meet calls that you organise or join using the Hangouts app. This is because users that are blocked on Hangouts aren’t blocked on Google Meet.
- Open the Hangouts app .
- Select a person from the Hangouts list or search for their name or email address. When you find the person that you want to call, click their name.
- In the top right, tap Video call and choose one:
- Share a Meet video call link : A link to the Google Meet video call is added to your chat. Click Send to share the link. You both need to click the link to join the call.
- Call with video : You’ll ring the other person to start a video call in the Hangout. They may or may not be available to answer.
- Call with audio only : You'll ring the other person to start a call in the Hangout without video. They may or may not be available to answer.
Start a video call in a group message
- Open the Hangouts app .
- Select a group to call from the Hangouts list or create a new group.
- In the top left of the group message window, click Video call .
- Hangouts automatically adds a Google Meet link to your message. Click Send to share it with a group and invite them to the video call.
Tips to start a Google Meet video call from Hangouts
- There are some requirements to use Google Meet. Learn more about Google Meet requirements.
- When you click the link to join a Google Meet video call through Google Hangouts, the meeting may not open on the Meet app.
- If you have the Meet app and the Gmail app: You'll have the option to open the meeting in either app.
- If you only have the Gmail app: The meeting will open in the Gmail app, even if you previously disabled the Meet tab within the Gmail app.
Other settings for video calls
Anyone in a video call can add more people after the video call has started.
- In the video call window, tap the screen.
- At the top, tap More Invite Add people.
- Enter and select a name or email address.
- Tap Video call . To join a video call, you need to sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap the video call screen
- At the bottom, tap Mute to mute your microphone or Camera to turn off your camera.
When you receive messages in the video call, a chat icon appears on the bottom left of your screen. Tap the icon to see the messages. Tap it again to close the chat. You can only see the message history while you’re in the call.You can’t respond to a video call message on your phone, but you can respond to the message if you join the call on your computer instead.