You can connect with family, friends, or coworkers through face-to-face video calls. For 1:1 calls, you can use classic Hangouts calling or Google Meet. For group video calls, use Google Meet.
Tip: If you use classic Hangouts to start a Google Meet video call, the number of participants depends on your account type. Learn more about participant limits for Google Meet.
Important: When you block someone on classic Hangouts, they can’t message you in Hangouts but they can still join Google Meet calls you organize or join through the Hangouts app. Users blocked on classic Hangouts aren’t blocked on Google Meet.
- Open the Hangouts app .
- Select a person from the Hangouts list or search for their name or email address. When you find the person you want to call, click their name.
- In the top right, tap Video call and chose one:
- Share a Meet video call link : A link to the Google Meet video call is added to your chat. Click Send to share the link. You both need to click the link to join the call.
- Call with video : Ring the other person to start a video call in the Hangout. They may or may not be available to answer.
- Call with audio only : Ring the other person to start a call in the Hangout without video. They may or may not be available to answer.
Start a video call in a group message
- Open the Hangouts app .
- Select a group to call from the Hangouts list or create a new group.
- At the top left of the group message window, tap Video call .
- Hangouts automatically adds a Google Meet link to your message. Click Send to share it with a group and invite them to the video call.
Tips to start a Google Meet video call from classic Hangouts
- There are some requirements to use Google Meet. Learn more about Google Meet requirements.
- When you click the link to join a Google Meet video call through Google Hangouts, the meeting may not open on the Meet app.
- If you have both the Meet app and the Gmail app: You can open the meeting in either app.
- If you only have the Gmail app: The meeting opens in the Gmail app even if you previously disabled the Meet tab within the Gmail app.
Other settings for classic Hangouts video calls
Anyone in a video call can add people after the video call starts.
- In the video call window, tap the screen.
- At the top, tap More options Invite Add people.
- Enter and select a name or email address.
- Tap Video call . To join a video call, you must sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap the video call screen
- On the bottom, tap Mute to mute your microphone or Camera to turn off your camera.
When you receive messages in the video call, a chat icon appears on the bottom left of your screen. Tap the icon to get the messages. Tap it again to close the chat. You can only get message history while you’re on the call.
You can’t respond to a video call message on your phone. You can respond to the message if you join the call on your computer.