Users who don’t know you need to send an invitation to chat. To protect you, Hangouts filters spam invitations into a separate screen. If a spam invitation isn't filtered, or if you don't feel comfortable in a Hangout with someone, you can block them. When you block someone, they can see you’re online but can't send you Hangouts messages.
Tip: If you are contacted by strangers or spammers, choose who can contact you directly.
Block and report someone
When you block someone, they can see you’re online but can't send you Hangouts messages.
When you block or ignore a user, you can also report abuse.
- On your computer, go to Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Select the person from the Hangouts list to open the conversation.
- At the top of the conversation, click Settings Block & report .
- To report abuse, select the “Also report” checkbox.
- To only block the person, unselect the “Also report” checkbox.
- Click Confirm.
When you report someone for abuse, a copy of the last 10 messages of your conversation is sent to Google for review.
Important: This feature is currently available on the web version.
Things to keep in mind
When you block someone,
- All text messages, voicemails, and calls from a blocked phone number to your Google Voice number are blocked in both Hangouts and Google Voice.
- If you block someone in Hangouts, the person or phone number is also blocked in other Google services, including Google Voice, Google+, Google Photos, and Google Chat in Gmail. Learn how to block someone using other Google services.
- If you block someone in Google+ or Google Chat, or block a phone number in Google Voice, the person or phone number is also blocked in Hangouts.
- You can’t send or receive Hangouts messages from the person you blocked. Your Hangout with the blocked person will be archived. Learn how to archive a Hangout.
- Calls sent directly to your phone aren't blocked.
- If you use Hangouts as your default text messaging app, text messages from the blocked person are also blocked. If you use another messaging app for your texts, text messages aren't blocked.
Group Hangouts conversation:
- The person you blocked remains in the conversation.
- You'll get a notification that someone you've blocked is also in the Hangout and, if you choose to open the Hangout, you'll be able to see the person's messages.
- Other people in the group won't be notified that you've blocked the person.
- You won't be notified when the person sends new messages, but they will still be notified when you send new messages.
- Everyone in the group will be able to view all messages sent and received.
- The person you blocked will still be able to join other group conversations that you're in.
- To join a video call with someone that you blocked, unblock the person first.
- If someone you blocked tries to join a video call you're in, they'll be notified that someone in the Hangout has blocked them and can’t join.
Hide someone from your conversations list
If you want to remove someone from your list, but don’t want to block them:
- Click Contacts.
- Find the person you want to hide.
- Next to their name, click More Hide [contact name].
Important: Unblocking the person or phone number in classic Hangouts also unblocks them in Google Voice, and Google Chat.