Block or ignore someone
If you don’t feel comfortable in a Hangout with someone, you can block them. When you block someone in Hangouts, the person will also be blocked in other Google products including Google+, Google Chat in Gmail, and the Google Talk app.
Here’s what happens when you block someone in Hangouts
- If you’re in a one-on-one Hangout, you’ll no longer be able to send or receive messages from the person.
- If you’re in a group Hangout, you’ll receive a notification that someone you’ve blocked is also in the Hangout and if you choose to open the Hangout you’ll be able to see the person’s messages.
- If you’re in a one-on-one Hangout, your Hangout will be archived. Learn more
- The person won’t be able to join any future video calls with you.
- The person you’ve blocked will be removed from your circles.
- You’ll no longer be able to see or comment on each other's content.
- You'll still be able to see each other’s public posts.
- Learn more about blocking someone in Google+.
Learn how blocking affects group Hangouts
- The person you blocked will remain in the Hangout.
- A notification will appear at the top of your Hangout window indicating that you’ve blocked the person.
- Other people in the Hangout won’t be notified that you’ve blocked the person.
- You won’t be notified when the person sends new messages or starts video calls, but he or she will still be notified when you send new messages or start a video call.
- Everyone in the Hangout will be able to view all messages sent and received.
- The person you blocked will still be able to join other group Hangouts that you’re in.
Block someone from within the Hangout window
- Click the gear icon at the top right of the Hangout window.
- Click Block user.
- Click Block.
When you block someone, we won't proactively notify them (unless you block them from within a video call). But since blocking someone limits the interactions that person can have with you, the person may figure out that you've blocked them.
Ignore or block someone in a video call
You can ignore someone for a single video call or you can block them permanently.
Here’s what happens when you ignore someone in a video call
- When you ignore someone for a single video call, you and the person you ignored won’t be able to see, hear, or interact with each other for the rest of the video call.
- In order to be able to see or hear them again, you and the person you ignored will have to leave the current video call and start a new one.
- When you ignore someone in a video call, you’ll still be able to send and receive messages from the person in Hangouts and in other Google products.
Here's what happens if you block someone while you’re in a video call with them:
- The person will not be kicked out of the current video call, but they won’t be able to join future video calls with you.
- During the remainder of the video call you will not be able to see or hear each other.
- Everyone will see that you’ve blocked the person, including the person you’ve blocked.
- Others in the video call will be given the option to block the person as well. If a majority of people block the person, he or she will be be removed from the video call.
- If you try to join a video call with someone that you've blocked, you won’t be allowed to enter. In order to join, you’ll have to unblock the person first.
- If someone you've blocked tries to join a video call you’re in, they won’t be allowed to join and they will be notified that someone in the Hangout has blocked them.
Here's how you block or ignore someone in a video call
- Hover over the person’s video feed or image on the bottom of the screen, and you’ll see the option to mute or block the person.
- Click the block icon .
- The person will automatically be “ignored” for the duration of the Hangout and you won’t be able to see, hear, or interact with each other for the rest of the Hangout. If you “ignored” the person accidentally, simply click Undo.
- If you want to permanently block someone, select the check box next to Permanently block [this person] on Google.
- Click Done to confirm that you want to block the person.
- Click menu at the top right of your Hangouts list.
- Select Blocked people.
- Click Unblock next to the person’s name.