Block or ignore someone
If you don't feel comfortable in a Hangout with someone, you can block them. When you block someone, they can see that you're online but can't send you Hangouts messages.
Tip: If you are contacted by strangers or spammers, choose who can contact you directly.
- On your computer, go to Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Select the person from the Hangouts list to open the conversation.
- At the top of the conversation, click Settings .
- Click Block Block.
- If you want to remove someone from your list, but don’t want to block them, open the "Contacts" tab Point to the person's name More Hide [contact name].
- Go to Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Open Settings:
- On hangouts.google.com: Click Menu Settings.
- On Gmail: At the top right of your Hangouts list, click the down arrow .
- Select Blocked people.
- Next to the person's name, click Unblock.
Things to bear in mind
- All text messages, voicemail and calls from a blocked phone number to your Google Voice number will be blocked in both Hangouts and Google Voice.
- When you block someone in Hangouts, the person or phone number will also be blocked in other Google services, including Google Voice, Google+, Google Photos and Google Chat in Gmail. Learn how to block someone using other Google services.
- If you block someone in Google+ or Google Chat, or block a phone number in Google Voice, the person or phone number will also be blocked in Hangouts.
- Unblocking the person or phone number in Hangouts will also unblock them in Google Voice, Google+ and Google Chat.
- You can't send or receive Hangouts messages from the person. Your Hangout with the blocked person will be archived. Learn how to archive a Hangout.
- Calls sent directly to your phone won't be blocked.
- If you use Hangouts as your default text messaging app, text messages will be blocked. If you use another messaging app for your texts, text messages won't be blocked.
Group Hangouts conversation:
- The person who you've blocked will remain in the conversation.
- You'll receive a notification that someone who you've blocked is also in the Hangout and, if you choose to open the Hangout, you'll be able to see the person's messages.
- Other people in the group won't be notified that you've blocked this person.
- You won't be notified when this person sends new messages, but they will still be notified when you send new messages.
- Everyone in the group will be able to view all messages sent and received.
- The person who you've blocked will still be able to join other group conversations that you're in.
- To join a video call with someone who you've blocked, unblock the person first.
- If someone you've blocked tries to join a video call that you're in, they'll be notified that someone in the Hangout has blocked them and won't be allowed to join.