Block or ignore someone
If you don't feel comfortable in a Hangout with someone, you can block them. When you block someone in Hangouts, the person will also be blocked in certain other Google products, including Google+ and Google Chat in Gmail.
If you block someone in Google+ or Google Chat, the person will also be blocked in Hangouts. Unblocking the person in Hangouts will also unblock them in Google+ and Google Chat.
Block someone from within the Hangout window
- At the top right of the Hangout window, click the gear icon .
- Click Block user.
- Click Block.
When you block someone, we won't notify them (unless you block them from within a video call). But because blocking someone limits the interactions that person can have with you, the person may figure out that you've blocked them. Keep in mind, if you block someone, it won't prevent that person from sending you an email.How blocking affects group Hangout conversations
- The person will remain in the Hangout.
- A notification will appear at the top of your Hangout window indicating that you've blocked the person.
- Other people in the Hangout won't be notified that you've blocked the person.
- You won't be notified when the person sends new messages or starts video calls, but he or she will still be notified when you send new messages or start a video call.
- Everyone in the Hangout will be able to view all messages sent and received.
- The person you blocked will still be able to join other group Hangouts that you're in.
Block someone on a mobile device
You'll need to go to the individual Hangout settings to block someone.
- You can block someone through the Hangouts app on an Android device.
- You can block someone through the Hangouts app on an iOS device.
- Open Hangouts in Gmail or Google+.
- Gmail: In the bottom-left corner, click the Hangouts icon .
- Google+: In the top-right corner, click the Hangouts icon .
- At the top right of your Hangouts list, click menu .
- Select Blocked people.
- Click Unblock next to the person's name.
Note: If you're having trouble receiving messages from someone, make sure they're unblocked in Google Voice as well as Hangouts.
Ignore or block someone in a video call
You can ignore someone for a single video call or you can block them permanently.
- Hover over the person's video feed or image on the bottom of the screen, and you'll see the option to mute or block the person.
- Click the block icon .
- The person will automatically be "ignored" for the duration of the Hangout, and you won't be able to see, hear, or interact with each other for the rest of the Hangout. If you "ignored" the person accidentally, click Undo.
- If you want to permanently block someone, select the check box next to Permanently block [this person] on Google.
- Click Done.
- When you ignore someone for a single video call, you and the person you ignored won't be able to see, hear, or interact with each other for the rest of the video call.
- To see or hear them again, you and the person you ignored will have to leave the current video call and start a new one.
- When you ignore someone in a video call, you can still send and receive messages from the person in Hangouts and in other Google products.
- The person won't be kicked out of the current video call, but they won't be able to join future video calls with you.
- During the remainder of the video call you won't be able to see or hear each other.
- Everyone will see that you've blocked the person, including the person you've blocked.
- Others in the video call will be given the option to block the person as well. If a majority of people block the person, he or she will be be removed from the video call.
- If you try to join a video call with someone that you've blocked, you won't be allowed to enter. To join, you'll have to unblock the person first.
- If someone you've blocked tries to join a video call you're in, they won't be allowed to join and they'll be notified that someone in the Hangout has blocked them.
Things to keep in mind for blocking someone in Hangouts
- If you're in a one-on-one Hangout, you'll no longer be able to send or receive messages from the person.
- If you're in a group Hangout, you'll receive a notification that someone you've blocked is also in the Hangout and if you choose to open the Hangout you'll be able to see the person's messages.
- If you're in a one-on-one Hangout, your Hangout will be archived.
- The person won't be able to join any future video calls with you.
- If you use Hangouts to receive calls and voicemails for your Google Voice account, you need to block a phone number in Google Voice to prevent that person from contacting you.
If you have Google+:
- The person you've blocked will be removed from your circles.
- You'll no longer be able to see or comment on each other's content.
- You'll still be able to see each other's public posts.
- Learn more about blocking someone in Google+.
Caroline is a Hangouts expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.