Block or ignore someone
If you don't feel comfortable in a Hangout with someone, you can block them. When you block someone, they can see that you’re online but can't send you Hangouts messages.
Tip: If you are contacted by strangers or spammers, choose who can contact you directly.
- On your computer, go to Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Select the person from the Hangouts list to open the conversation.
- At the top of the conversation, click Settings .
- Click Block Block.
- If you want to remove someone from your list, but don’t want to block them, open the "Contacts" tab Point to the person's name More Hide [contact name].
- Go to Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Open settings:
- On hangouts.google.com: Click Menu Settings.
- On Gmail: At the top right of your Hangouts list, click the Down arrow .
- Select Blocked people.
- Next to the person’s name, click Unblock.
Things to keep in mind
- All text messages, voicemails, and calls from a blocked phone number to your Google Voice number will be blocked in both Hangouts and Google Voice.
- When you block someone in Hangouts, the person or phone number will also be blocked in other Google services, including Google Voice, Google+, Google Photos, and Google Chat in Gmail. Learn how to block someone using other Google services.
- If you block someone in Google+ or Google Chat, or block a phone number in Google Voice, the person or phone number will also be blocked in Hangouts.
- Unblocking the person or phone number in Hangouts will also unblock them in Google Voice, Google+, and Google Chat.
- You can’t send or receive Hangouts messages from the person. Your Hangout with the blocked person will be archived. Learn how to archive a Hangout.
- Calls sent directly to your phone aren't blocked.
- If you use Hangouts as your default text messaging app, text messages will be blocked. If you use another messaging app for your texts, text messages aren't blocked.
Group Hangouts conversation:
- The person you blocked will remain in the conversation.
- You'll get a notification that someone you've blocked is also in the Hangout and, if you choose to open the Hangout, you'll be able to see the person's messages.
- Other people in the group won't be notified that you've blocked the person.
- You won't be notified when the person sends new messages, but they will still be notified when you send new messages.
- Everyone in the group will be able to view all messages sent and received.
- The person you blocked will still be able to join other group conversations that you're in.
- To join a video call with someone that you’ve blocked, unblock the person first.
- If someone you've blocked tries to join a video call you're in, they'll be notified that someone in the Hangout has blocked them and won’t be allowed to join.