You can use Hangouts to:
- Start a chat conversation.
- Make phone calls using Wi-Fi or data.
- Send text messages with your Google Voice or Google Fi phone number.
Hangouts syncs automatically across devices. If you begin a Hangout on your computer, you can continue your chat on another device, like your phone.
- In March 2017, we announced plans to evolve classic Hangouts to focus on two experiences that help bring teams together: Google Chat and Google Meet. Both Chat and Meet are available today for G Suite customers and will be made available for consumer users, too. We're fully committed to supporting classic Hangouts users until everyone has successfully migrated to Chat and Meet.
- Classic Hangouts isn't available in China.
Your Family Link account can use Hangouts on Android but not on iPhones/iPads.
What you need to use Hangouts
- An Internet or data connection.
System and browser requirements
Before you use Hangouts, check if your computer has these:
Operating systems that work with Hangouts
Hangouts works with the current version and 2 previous major releases of the operating systems listed below.
- Mac OS X
- Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linux distributions
Web browsers that work with Hangouts
Hangouts works with the current version and one previous major release of the browsers listed below.
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
Additionally, it works with Safari 13 or later, and Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.
Hangouts can be used in:
Once you choose an app, learn how to sign in to Hangouts.