You can use Hangouts to:
- Start a chat conversation or video call.
- Make phone calls using Wi-Fi or data.
- Send text messages with your Google Voice or Google Fi phone number.
Hangouts sync automatically across devices. If you begin a Hangout on your computer, you can continue your chat on another device, like your phone.
- In March 2017, we announced plans to evolve classic Hangouts to focus on two experiences that will help bring teams together: Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Both Chat and Meet are available today for G Suite customers and will soon be made available for consumer users too. We're planning on transitioning users from classic Hangouts to Chat and Meet after June 2020. We are fully committed to supporting classic Hangouts users until everyone has been successfully migrated to Chat and Meet.
- Classic Hangouts isn't available in China.
Your Family Link account can use Hangouts on Android but not on iPhones/iPads.
Watch how Hangouts works
What you'll need to use Hangouts
- A Google Account.
- A computer or phone with a camera and microphone. Learn how to use your camera and microphone when you start a video call for the first time.
- An Internet or data connection.
Download and sign in to Hangouts
To call someone’s phone number using the Hangouts app, download the Hangouts Dialler.
Use accessibility features
Learn how to use Android accessibility features on Hangouts, like how to make phone calls.