Get started with Hangouts
You can use Hangouts to:
- Start a chat conversation or video call.
- Make phone calls using Wi-Fi or data.
- Send text messages with your Google Voice or Project Fi phone number.
Hangouts sync automatically across devices. If you start a Hangout on your computer, you can continue your chat on another device, like your phone.
Watch how Hangouts works
What you need to use Hangouts
- A Google Account.
- A computer or phone with a camera and microphone. Learn how to use your camera and microphone when you start a video call for the first time.
- An internet or data connection.
Download and sign in to Hangouts
To call someone’s phone number using the Hangouts app, download the Hangouts Dialer.
Use accessibility features
Learn how to use Android accessibility features on Hangouts, like how to make phone calls.
Brenna is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.