You can use Hangouts to:
- Start a chat conversation.
- Make phone calls using Wi-Fi or data.
- Send text messages with your Google Voice or Google Fi phone number.
Hangouts sync automatically across devices. If you start a Hangout on your computer, you can continue your chat on another device, like your phone.
- In March 2017, we announced plans to evolve classic Hangouts to focus on two experiences that help bring teams together: Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Both Chat and Meet are available today for G Suite customers and will be made available for consumer users, too. We are fully committed to supporting classic Hangouts users until everyone is successfully migrated to Chat and Meet.
- Classic Hangouts is not available in China.
Your Family Link account can use Hangouts on Android but not on iPhones/iPads.
What you need to use Hangouts
- An internet or data connection.
Download and sign in to Hangouts
To call someone’s phone number using the Hangouts app, download the Hangouts Dialer.
Use accessibility features
Learn how to use Android accessibility features on Hangouts, like how to make phone calls.