If the person that you’re calling can’t hear or see you, try these steps.
Step 1: Check your hardware
- Make sure that your microphone, camera and speakers are plugged in to your computer and turned on (microphone isn’t muted).
- If you connect any of your hardware using USB, check if you need to install software from the device manufacturer.
- Make sure that other programs on your computer aren’t using your microphone, camera or speakers.
- At the bottom of the video call window, make sure that you’ve turned on the microphone or camera .
Step 2: Check your Hangouts settings
- At the top of your video call window, click Settings .
- Make sure that the correct device is selected for each setting (change it using the down arrow ):
- Camera : If your camera is working, you’ll see your video at the top right.
- Microphone : To test your microphone, speak aloud and ask if the other person can hear you.
- Speakers : To test your speakers, click Test.
Step 3: Restart your call and computer
- Exit and rejoin the video call.
- Restart your computer.
Step 4: Ask the other person to troubleshoot
If you can’t see or hear the other person, ask them to try the steps above.
If you’re still having problems, visit the Hangouts forum to get help from knowledgeable people who use Hangouts.
Step 5: Review Google Meet system requirements
Google Meet video calls are available in classic Hangouts. Google Meet and classic Hangouts have different system requirements. Learn more about requirements for Google Meet.
Step 6: Report issues or send feedback about Hangouts
You can send comments, suggestions or technical issues about Hangouts video calls to Google.
- At the top of your video call window, click More .
- Click Feedback.
- On the left, choose whether you want to include a screenshot. A screenshot can help with technical problems. You can highlight or black out any areas of the photo.
- Describe your problem. Be as specific as you can.
- Click Send.