Troubleshoot audio/video issues with video calls
If you are experiencing audio or video issues during a video call, like not hearing or seeing someone or you can’t make a video call, try these troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure your webcam and microphone are plugged in.
- Make sure that your microphone and webcam are not being used by another application.
- Check your settings to make sure the plug-in is using the correct webcam and microphone. To check your settings, click the gear icon at the top of the video call window.
- If your microphone or webcam shows up as "USB video/audio device," you may need to install software from the device's manufacturer to make it work.
- If your camera is working properly, you’ll see your video feed on the bottom right of the video call window.
- To test the mic, speak out loud. If your mic is working, you’ll see the meter next to the mic icon move.
- To check your speaker settings, click Play test sound.
- Exit and rejoin the video call.
- Restart your computer.
- If you’re unable to see the other person’s video or hear their audio, ask them to go through these troubleshooting steps too.
Report issues or send feedback about Hangouts
You can help us make Hangouts video calls better by reporting issues and sending us feedback.
- Click the question mark icon on the bottom left of the video call window.
- Click Send feedback.
- In the blank box, describe the problem you’re having. Please be as specific as you can.
- Click Submit.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.