Index Diagnostics error: "Excluded: long redirect chain"
Summary: The search appliance cannot crawl the URL, and the Admin Console page Index > Diagnostics > Index Diagnostics (see 7.0 to 7.2 Admin Console mapping for prior page location) shows the error "Excluded: long redirect chain" for the URL.
Cause: The search appliance does not have proper cookies to crawl the destination URL.
Troubleshooting: Use these steps to find the difference between how the search appliance gets cookies and how your browser gets cookies for the URL.
- Determine how the cookies are set for the search appliance when it tries to crawl the URL. You can do this by using the Manual fetch request. This utility is located on the Admin Console page Content Sources > Diagnostics > Real-time Diagnostics.
- Determine how cookies are set on your browser when it navigates to this URL. You can do this by using a HTTP headers plugin in your browser. See below for HTTP headers plugins. Make sure to clear your browser's cookies before running this test.
- Compare the cookies and find the difference between how the search appliance gets cookies and how your browser gets cookies.
- If no cookies are sent by the search appliance in subsequent requests and if the cookies are static, add the static cookie header to Content Sources > Web Crawl > HTTP Headers.
- If no cookies are sent by the search in subsequent requests and if the cookies are dynamic, create a Forms Authentication rule.
- If none of the above steps help, check whether the cookies confirm to RFC 2965 standards.
Additional Details: See below for common HTTP header utilities for your browser: