Use Google Groups with a Google account
Some tasks in Google Groups require a Google Account while others do not require an account. The following Google Group tasks do not require a Google Account:
- Reading posts in a public group.
- Searching for groups, posts, or authors.
- Posting to a group using email (if the group is unrestricted or you're already a member).
- Joining a public Google Group using email.
The following Google Groups tasks require a Google Account:
- Creating and managing your own Google Group.
- Posting to a group using the web interface.
- Subscribing to a Usenet newsgroup and receiving posts through email.
- Joining a Google Group using the web interface.
- Changing your subscription type.
- Reading a restricted group's posts online.
Tip: Gmail users can use their Gmail Google Account with Google Groups.
Note: Click on the "create an account for free" link on the Google Accounts homepage to create a new Google Account.
Was this article helpful?