Find & join a group
You can join a Google Group to have discussions about a topic or communicate with your team, organization, class, or other group. Some groups grant immediate membership, but others need you to request membership first.
Join a group
- Sign in to Google Groups. Learn how to join if you don't have a Google Account.
- In the box at the top, enter a subject, like "cooking" or "football." To browse groups by category or region, click Browse all. Depending on what you search for, you might see a list of groups followed by a list of messages.
- Optional: If a group is open, you can read messages sent by its members by clicking the group name.
- To join a group, click Join group or Apply to join group. If a group is invite-only, you can ask to be invited by clicking Contact owner.
After you’ve joined the group, you’ll get an email letting you know. If you applied or contacted the owner, that means your application needs to be approved.
Change your settings and display name
You can change your display name, photo, email address, and how frequently you get email from the group.
- Sign in to Google Groups.
- Click My Groups.
- Choose a group.
- In the top right, click Membership and email settings.
- Choose your settings.
- Click Save.
Join a Google group without a Gmail address
If you don't have a Google Account, you can still:
- Read posts in public groups
- Search for posts in public groups
- Post to public groups via the web forum
But you'll need a Google Account to:
- Create and manage a group
- Join a group
- Post to private groups you’ve been added to
- Read a restricted group's posts
To use these features with Google Groups, you can create a Google Account without changing your email address.
You can also link a non-Gmail email address to an existing Google Account. The linked email address can be made an owner or manager. Learn how to sign in to your Google Account with another email address.