Create a new topic
When you create a new topic you are also, simultaneously, creating the first post in the topic. To create a new topic in a group:
- From the Topics screen, click on the New topic button. A "New topic in "[group_name]" screen appears.
- Select the type of post (discussion, question, or announcement). The type of posts available will depend on the settings of the group.
- Discussion () - A general post and response interaction usually available to all members of a group.
- Question () - A formal type of discussion. Questions can have a workflow associated with and can be assigned to other members to answer, for example.
- Announcement ()- A topic containing important information from the administrators for all members.
- (optional) Check the Display at the top checkbox to create the new topic at the top of the topic list. This option is only available for group owners, or for members to whom permission is given.
- (optional) For Web forum groups (members do not receive emails), check the Lock checkbox to block users from replying to the topic. This feature is useful if you are making an announcement and do not want replies. This option is available only for group owners or members who are given permission.
For Email list groups (members do receive emails), the Lock feature will not prevent members with permission from replying to the topic by email.
- Type the subject of the topic in the 'Subject' field.
- (optional) Click on the 'Attach a file' link to attach a file to the initial post. The Select a file dialog box appears.
- Click on the Choose files to upload button.
- Navigate to your file.
- Click the Open button. The file is uploaded to Google Groups.
- Type the introduction to the topic. Add formatting as needed by clicking on the buttons above the topic body.
- Click the Post button to post the topic. The topic appears in the list of topics for the group.
Was this article helpful?