When using the Google TV app from a phone or tablet, you can connect to your Google TV or Android TV to:
- Play movies and TV shows
- Control media playback
- Turn the TV on or off
- Activate the Google Assistant
- Change the volume
- Enter text to perform searches or enter login information
Connect to your TV
- On your Android phone, open the Google TV app .
- Near the bottom right, tap Connect TV.
- Select the device you want to connect to.
- Enter the code that displays on your TV screen.
- Tap Pair.
Tip: On your Android phone, to quickly access the TV remote from any screen, add it to your Quick Settings.
Cast videos on your TV with a phone or tablet
- Connect your device and your Chromecast or TV to the same wireless network.
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google TV app .
- Tap the button in the bottom corner .
- Select the video or TV show you want to watch.
- Tap Watch on TV.
- On your TV, you can use the Google TV app to:
- Pause a video
- Rewind a video
- Fast forward a video
- To disconnect device, tap in the bottom bar.
Learn casting tips for your TV
- On Chromecast, HD movies you rent play in HD even if your phone isn't capable of HD playback.
- When your device runs out of battery:
- Your video still plays Chromecast.
- To access video controls, you can connect another device to Chromecast.
- To save battery on your mobile device, turn off its screen during playback.
- When you sign in to YouTube, make sure you sign in with the same Google Account you use in Chromecast.
In order for playback to work when you tap “Watch on TV,” third-party apps must be installed on your cast-enabled GTV or ATV device with cast turned on.
Learn how to fix problems with the Google TV virtual remoteCheck your Wi-Fi connection
To use your phone as a remote, your phone and TV must be on the same Wi-Fi network.
To check or change the connection on your TV:
- From the Google TV home screen, select Settings Network & Internet.
- Confirm the Wi-Fi is on and you’re connected to the correct network.
- If necessary, select the network you want to connect to.
- If necessary, enter the password.
To check or change the connection on your phone:
- On your phone, open the Settings app.
- To find your network or select a different network, tap Network & internet Wi-Fi.
- On your Google TV, unplug the power cord.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Plug in the power cord.
- Set up the virtual remote again.
- From the Google TV home screen, select Settings .
- Select Remote & Accessories Set up remote buttons Volume control.
- Confirm "Volume control" is set to “Auto (CEC).”