Google Play Music family plan
When you subscribe to the Google Play Music family plan, you and up to 5 family members can stream millions of songs for a monthly fee.
If you'd like to maintain your YouTube Premium benefits, and have a family plan, cancel your Google Play Music subscription and sign up for a YouTube Premium family plan - which also includes access to YouTube Music Premium and Google Play Music.
How the family plan works
With the family plan, everyone in your family group shares a Google Play Music subscription and can:
- Stream music at the same time.
- Use Google Play Music on up to 10 devices each.
- Share eligible purchased items on Google Play using Family Library.
Note: Each family member still has separate Google Accounts, playlists, libraries, and offline content.
The Google Play Music family plan is available in:
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- United States
Note: Every family member must be based in the same country as the family manager to join a family plan.
Family manager requirements
To sign up, you must meet all these requirements:
- Be 18 or older (or the appropriate age in your country) and have a Google Account (that is not a G Suite account)
- Have a valid credit card to use as the family payment method
- Live in a country where the family music plan is available
- Not be part of another family group
Family member requirements
Anyone you invite to join your family must meet all these requirements:
- Have a Google Account. If you have a family member under 13 or the applicable age in your country, the family manager needs to create a Google Account for them.
- Live in the same country as the family manager.
- Not be part of another family group.
Note: Anyone you invite to join your family will see your name, photo, and email address.
Subscribe to the family plan
Only the family manager can subscribe to the family plan. If your family manager doesn't want to subscribe, you can still purchase an individual subscription.
- Open the Play Music app .
- In the top left, tap Menu Settings.
- Tap Start free trial, Upgrade to Family Plan, or Subscribe.
- Follow the instructions on screen to sign up for the family plan and set up Family Library.
Manage your subscription
If your family manager subscribed to the Google Play Music family plan, everyone in your family group has access to Google Play Music.
To change who has access to the family plan, the family manager needs to add or remove family members.
If you're the family manager, you can cancel your family's Google Play Music subscription at any time.
What happens when you cancel
- Your family members have access to Google Play Music until the end of the billing cycle. When the service is terminated, your family members will get an email letting them know they don't have access anymore.
- If your family members want to keep using Google Play Music, they can subscribe as individuals.
- Your family group on Google Play won't get deleted, and family members can continue sharing eligible purchases using Family Library.
- Family members won't be able to access music they saved to their device or playlists they created unless they purchase the content with their own payment method or subscribe to Google Play Music as individuals.
Cancel your subscription
- Open the Google Play Music app .
- In the top left, tap Menu Settings Cancel subscription.
- Select a reason for leaving Continue.
- Under "Subscriptions," tap Google Play Music family plan Cancel subscription.
If your family manager subscribed to the Google Play Music family plan, you can cancel your individual subscription. You'll still have access to Google Play Music as long as your family manager keeps your family plan.
If you don't see the option to subscribe or upgrade to the Google Play Music family plan, it might be for one of these reasons:
- You aren't the family manager.
- You don't live in one of the countries where the family plan works.
- You're using Google Play Music as a gift. When the gift expires, you'll see the option to subscribe to the family plan.
- Your Google Account is through your work, school, or other organization.
- You're currently paying for YouTube Premium. To sign up, cancel your YouTube Premium membership. After your final billing date, you can sign up for the Google Play Music family plan. If you want to cancel sooner, contact us to cancel your membership immediately.
Learn how to troubleshoot errors when creating your family group.
If you're having trouble setting up your child on your family music plan, here are a few things to note:
- If you use Family Link to manage a Google Account for your child, they can use your family music plan if they have the Google Play Music app installed.
- If they're on Android and don't see the app installed, you may need to unblock the app.
- If you have a family member under 13 or the applicable age in your country, the family manager needs to create a Google Account for them.