Some games autosave your progress when you're signed in with Google Play Games. If your game autosaves, you'll be able to continue playing the game where you left off. Even if you change phones and when you sign in to the same account that you have used previously.
Restore your saved game progress
If your game is missing your progress, check if your game is using Google Play Games, and make sure that you're signed in to the correct account. Try these steps:
- Open the Play Store app on your Android phone or tablet and search for the game.
- Tap on Read more underneath the screenshots and look for 'Uses Google Play Games' at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you have confirmed that the game uses Google Play Games, open the game and find the achievements or leaderboards screen.
- If you can't find achievements or leaderboards, follow the steps to clear storage below. In step three, select the game that you are having trouble with in place of Google Play Games.
- On the achievements or leaderboards screen, tap on your profile image in the top left to see which account you are using.
- If this account doesn't match the account that you were using previously, go back to the achievements or leaderboards screen and tap More Sign out.
- Re-open the game and sign in to the correct account.
Tip: Not all games automatically save your progress. If these steps don’t work for you, contact the developer directly.
To prevent loss of game progress:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Play Games app .
- At the top, tap More Settings.
- Under your gamer ID, you'll see which account is signed in.
- If the account info is incorrect: tap your email address, then select the correct account.
- Turn on 'Automatically sign in to supported games'. You’ll be signed in to new games with this account.
Fix problems with Google Play Instant
Games designed for Google Play Instant have an 'Instant play' or 'Try' button that you can open and play instantly without having to install. If you have problems with instant apps, you can try opting out and opting in again. Learn how to opt in and out.
Fix other Play Games errors
If you have trouble opening the Play Games app or see errors when using it, you can try these steps.
Open your device's settings app .
Tap Apps and notifications See all apps.
Scroll down and tap Google Play Games.
Tap Storage Clear storage.
Reopen the Play Games app.
You can also retry these steps and select Google Play services or the game that you are having trouble with.
Restart your device
- Press and hold the Power button until the menu pops up.
- Tap Power off or Restart if that is an option.
- If needed, press and hold the Power button until your device turns on again.
If you're still having trouble
If these steps don’t work, see other troubleshooting steps.