Watch 4K UHD and HDR videos with Google Play Movies & TV
You can buy and watch movies in 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) quality on Google Play Movies & TV. By enabling HDR playback on compatible TVs, you can watch your movies with a wider range of brightness and color.
About 4K UHD quality
4K UHD (or Ultra High Definition) is a quality of video that is even higher than HD, with sharper images. Compared to HD quality (1920 x 1080 pixels), 4K UHD has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. This means that the image will be sharper than HD.
About HDR playback
Certain videos that you purchase in 4K UHD may also be compatible with High Dynamic Range (HDR) playback. HDR allows for images with a wider range of brightness and color. You will automatically receive HDR quality if the purchased song and your TV support HDR.
Read the section below to learn how to enable HDR on your TV.
Watching 4K UHD videos
You can currently watch purchased 4K UHD quality videos using Chromecast Ultra, on 4K displays. You can also watch using some models of Android TV.
- To stream 4K UHD titles, you’ll need a consistent download speed of at least 15 megabits per second.
- Without strong bandwidth, your movie may play in HD or SD quality.
- If you have purchased a title to watch in UHD, and your device can’t display UHD quality video, you’ll be able to watch the title in HD or SD quality.
Purchase videos in 4K UHD quality
If available in your country, you can see available 4K UHD videos here.
- Visit the Google Play Store the web or the Play Store app .
- You can search for “UHD”.
- Look for movies which have a badge for 4K quality.
- Next to the movie you’d like to purchase, select the price.
- You will see the option to purchase movies in SD, HD, or UHD.
- To watch the video in UHD quality, select UHD.
- Select Buy or Rent.
To make sure HDR is enabled on the HDMI inputs of your TV, you will likely need to visit the Picture settings or Input settings menu of your TV. For specific instructions to enable HDR for your TV, visit the manufacturer’s support site.
To verify that you are seeing HDR Playback: Look for rich color and high contrast. Some TV manufacturers will show an on-screen message, letting you know that HDR is on.
- HDR playback is only available with purchases of 4K UHD videos, not SD or HD.
- HDR playback is currently not available on Android TV, but is available with Chromecast Ultra.
Andrea is a Google Play expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.