Use Google Play Music with Chromecast
After you've set up your Chromecast, here's how you can listen to music using Google Play Music and Chromecast.
Using your phone or tablet
- Connect your device and Chromecast to the same wireless network.
- Open the Google Play Music app.
- Touch the Cast icon.
- Select your Chromecast from the device list.
- Select a song, album, or playlist.
- Touch Play.
Using your computer
If you haven't already, you'll need to download and use Google Chrome to listen to music using your computer and Chromecast.
- Open Chrome.
- Download and install the Google Cast extension from the Chrome Web Store (first time only).
- Connect your computer and Chromecast to the same wireless network.
- Go to Google Play Music (play.google.com/music) using Chrome.
- Click a song, album, or playlist.
- Click Play.
- Click the Cast icon near the bottom of the screen, next to the playback controls.
- Under "Connect to a device", select your Chromecast from the device list.
During playback, you can turn the screen off on your device or computer to save battery. You can also use other apps on your device and open other tabs on your computer's browser while casting.
Disconnect from Chromecast
- Using your phone or tablet: Touch the Cast icon and select your device from the list.
- Using your computer: Click the Cast icon near the top right of your browser and click Stop casting.
- Using your phone or tablet: You can use the playback controls on the Google Play Music app. You can also quickly access your playback controls through your device's notifications.
- Using your computer: You can use the playback controls on Google Play Music, near the bottom of the screen.
- It can be a good idea to keep the music player open when listening to music on Chromecast with your computer. Playback controls can't be used after the music player has been closed, the computer has been turned off, or an Internet connection has been lost.