Use Google Play Movies & TV with Chromecast
After you've set up your Chromecast, you can use Google Play Movies & TV to cast videos to your TV.Cast videos with your phone or tablet
- Connect your device and Chromecast to the same wireless network.
- Open the Google Play Movies & TV app .
- Tap Library Movies or TV shows.
- Choose a movie or show.
- Tap Cast .
- Select your Chromecast from the device list.
- On the Google Play Movies & TV app, tap Play.
To disconnect: Tap Cast select your device from the list.
Video controls: You can pause, rewind, fast forward or stop your video through the Google Play Movies & TV app or your device's notifications.
Next, follow these steps:
- Open Chrome.
- Connect your computer and Chromecast to the same wireless network.
- Go to Google Play Movies using Chrome.
- You can also add the Google Play Movies Chrome extension and cast from there instead.
- Click My movies & TV.
- Choose a movie or show and begin playing.
- Near the top-right corner of the player, click Cast .
- Under 'Connect to a device', select your Chromecast from the device list.
To disconnect: Near the top right of your browser, click Cast Stop casting.
Video controls: You can pause, rewind, fast forward or stop your video through the Google Play Movies player.
Note: You may want to keep the video player open when using your computer with Chromecast. Playback controls can't be used after the video player has been closed, the computer has been turned off, or an Internet connection has been lost.
- HD movie rentals will play in HD on Chromecast, even if your phone isn't capable of HD playback.
- Chromecast will keep playing your video, even if your phone or tablet runs out of battery. To access video controls again, you'll need to connect another device to the Chromecast.
- To save battery, you can turn the screen off on your device during playback.
- If you're signed in to YouTube, make sure that you're signed in to Play Movies & TV using the same Google account.
Problems casting videos to your TVI can't see the cast icon
On your phone or tablet
If you are having trouble casting your video, or the cast icon is missing, try these troubleshooting steps.
On your computer
Visit this page if you are missing the cast icon.
If you are still having problems
You can contact our Chromecast support team.
After you start playing a video, it may take a few minutes for your video to play at its highest quality level for your connection.
If you're watching a video using your computer, make sure that you clicked the cast icon on the Google Play Movies video player, rather than the browser's toolbar.