Use Google Play Movies & TV with Chromecast
After you've set up your Chromecast, here's how you can use Google Play Movies & TV with Chromecast.Using your phone or tablet
- Connect your device and Chromecast to the same wireless network.
- Open the Google Play Movies & TV app .
- Touch the Menu icon > My Library > My Movies or My TV shows.
- Choose a movie or show.
- Touch the Cast icon .
- Select your Chromecast from the device list.
- Touch Play on the Google Play Movies & TV app.
If you haven't already, you'll need to download and use Google Chrome to use Google Play Movies & TV with your Chromecast.
- Open Chrome .
- Download and install the Google Cast extension from the Chrome Web Store (one time only).
- Connect your computer and Chromecast to the same wireless network.
- Go to Google Play Movies (play.google.com/movies) using Chrome.
- Click My Movies or My TV shows.
- Choose a movie or show.
- Click Play.
- Click the Cast icon near the top right corner of the video player.
- Under "Connect to a device," select your Chromecast from the device list.
If you've rented an HD movie, playback on Chromecast will be in HD, even if your phone isn't capable of HD playback. During playback, you can turn the screen off on your device to save battery. If your phone or tablet runs out of battery, Chromecast will keep playing your video. Connect to another device to keep watching.
Disconnect from Chromecast
- Using your phone or tablet: Touch the Cast icon and select your device from the list.
- Using your computer: Click the Cast icon near the top right of your browser and click Stop casting.
Using your phone or tablet: You can use the playback controls on the Google Play Movies & TV app to pause, rewind, fast forward, or stop your video. You can also quickly access your playback controls through your device's notifications.
Using your computer: You can use the playback controls on Google Play Movies to pause, rewind, fast forward, or stop your video.
- It can be a good idea to keep the video player open when using your computer with Chromecast. Playback controls can't be used after the video player has been closed, the computer has been turned off, or an Internet connection has been lost.
After you start playing a video, it may take a few minutes for your video to play at its highest quality level for your connection.
If you're watching a video using your computer, make sure that you clicked the Cast icon on the Google Play Movies video player, rather than the browser's toolbar.
- Make sure you're using Google Chrome .
- Check if you've installed the Google Cast extension.
- Check your Internet connection and make sure your computer and Chromecast are using the same Wi-Fi network.
- If you're signed in to YouTube, make sure that you're signed in using the same Google Account.
Shana is a Google Play expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.