Problems opening or loading a book in your library
If you’re experiencing one of the following issues, this article is for you.
- Having trouble opening or loading your book
- Getting the error message “couldn’t display book”
- Seeing only a few pages or the book is still a “sample”
Related article: Fix issues finding a book you bought in your library.
Fix book loading issues
On your mobile device
1. Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi or a 3G/4G mobile network.
2. Make sure your Play Books app is up to date with the latest version.
3. Android only: Open the Google Play Books app and touch Menu > Refresh.
4. Remove the book download by touching Menu on the book’s cover > Remove download. Touch the book’s cover to reload and open it.
5. If that doesn’t work, follow the steps in “Clear your app or browser data” below.
On your Android device
1. On your Android device, open the Settings app > Application manager.
2. Touch Google Play Books > Clear data.
3. Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi or a 3G/4G mobile network.
4. Open Google Play Books and sign in.
Note: After you sign in to the same account you used to buy the books, you'll see the books you previously downloaded but you'll need to download them again.
On your iOS device
To clear your app cache on your iOS device, you’ll need to sign out and sign back in to the Google Play Books app.
On your computer
Try opening the book on a different browser than the one you’re using. If it works and you want to view it on the original browser, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies.
Try opening it on the Play Books app. If that doesn’t work, the file type likely isn’t supported by Play Books.
If you recently changed your password and are seeing an authentication error, try signing back in to your Google Account on your Android device or your computer.
Request a refund
If you can’t get your book to work, you can request a refund. You can also contact us.