Read books offline
To read Google Play books when you're not connected to the Internet, you'll need to download them to your device.
On your mobile device
To download books to read them offline:
- Make sure you’re connected to the Internet.
- Open the Google Play Books app.
- Touch the book you want to download.
Once the book has finished downloading to your device, you can read it anywhere even when you don't have an Internet connection.Download using Wi-Fi only
To avoid data charges, you may want to download books using Wi-Fi only. To turn “Wi-Fi downloading only” on or off on an Android device:
- Open the Play Books app.
- In the top left corner, touch Menu > Settings > Download over Wi-Fi only.
On an iOS device: Go to General > Network > Cellular data and switch it to Off.
On your computer
To download Google Play books for offline reading on a computer, you'll need the Google Chrome browser and the free Play Books app from the Chrome Web Store.
Note: These instructions only apply to book in EPUB format.
To download books to your computer:
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet.
- Open Chrome.
- Click the Apps menu in the upper left corner of your browser.
- Open the Play Books Chrome app.
- Move your mouse over the book you want to download.
- Check the box next to Make available offline.