Accepted payment methods
You can purchase apps and digital content on Google Play using payment methods from your Google account. If it's your first time making a purchase, your payment method will be added to your Google account. Find out how to add and change payment methods at add or edit your payment method.
Available payment methods vary by country:
You can add the following credit/debit cards to your account:
- American Express
- Visa Electron
Note: The types of cards accepted through Google Play may vary. You may notice temporary authorizations on your account when using a credit or debit card.
In the United States and United Kingdom, you can use your Google Wallet Balance to pay for your purchase. Simply make sure there's enough money in your Wallet Balance to cover the total amount of the purchase.
With some mobile devices and service plans, you can charge purchases to your carrier bill.
Participating carriers in the USA:
- US Cellular
When you buy something, you'll see the charge on your carrier account after 15 minutes.
Note: You may see an SMS (text message) starting with "DCB_Association" on your phone when you sign up for direct carrier billing. The DCB_Association message is automatically generated and sent to complete enrollment in direct carrier billing for your Google Play account.Direct carrier billing troubleshooting
If you don't see a carrier billing option, keep in mind:
- Direct carrier billing is only available using the Google Play Store app. It isn't available on the Google Play website on a computer or mobile browser.
- Your account with your carrier must be in good standing.
Check with your carrier to make sure:
- You haven't exceeded your carrier's monthly spending limit.
- Your device and service plan allow premium content purchases.
- Your device can use direct carrier billing.
Purchases that aren't successfully authorized with your carrier are immediately cancelled. For help with unsuccessful direct carrier billing purchases, contact your mobile service provider.
- You can use your Google Play Balance to buy apps and digital content on Google Play.
- Google Play balance can be used to pay for subscriptions on Google Play Music and Google Play Newsstand but can't be used to pay for other types of subscriptions. Learn more about uses & restrictions for Google Play balance.
- You can get Google Play balance from Google Play gift cards and some promotional codes.
You can use PayPal to buy apps and digital content on Google Play.
Note: If you have PayPal Security Key turned on, you have add to PayPal to your Google Play account using a computer or mobile web browser. You can't link it using the Play Store app. To add PayPal, copy and paste play.google.com/store/account into the address bar of a web browser (like Chrome or Safari) and select "Add a new payment method". Once you've added PayPal, you can use it to buy things from the Play Store app and the Play web store".
Google Play can't be used with:
- Wire transfers
- Bank transfers
- Western Union
- Money Gram
- Virtual Credit Cards (VCC)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Transit cards
- Any escrow type of payment
Dan is a Google Play expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.