Troubleshoot payment issues on your account
Here's what to do if your card has been declined or one of your payment methods is grayed-out.
Tip: If you're having a problem with a Google Play gift card, promo code, or your Google Play balance, go to troubleshoot Play gift cards, promo codes & balance.
If a purchase you made on Google Play is declined, you'll receive an email notifying you of the failed charge.Troubleshooting declined cards
- Make sure you're entering an accepted payment method.
- Enter your card's number without adding spaces or dashes.
- Make sure you entered the correct expiration date.
- Make sure your card hasn't expired.
- Enter the correct security code (or CVC).
- Confirm the billing address listed at payments.google.com matches the billing address on your credit or debit card statement.
- If you're still having trouble after following the steps above, contact your bank to learn more about the reason for the decline. Banks may decline a payment because of insufficient funds or specific card restrictions, like domestic-only purchases.
For orders placed on a computer or mobile browser
To complete your purchase, you'll need to update your information or add a different payment method. If your payment information isn't updated within 7 days after your purchase is declined, your order will be canceled.
For orders placed using the Google Play Store app
If your purchase is declined, your order will be canceled immediately. Once you've updated your information or added a different payment method, you can try placing the order again.
Unauthorized charges & hijacked accounts
If you see charges for Google Play purchases that you didn't make, follow the instructions on report unauthorized charges.
If someone has taken over your Google Account, you may still be able to recover your account.
Grayed-out payment methods
If you see a grayed-out payment method while making a purchase on Google Play, that payment method isn't valid for that particular purchase. For more information, go to accepted payment methods.
Shana is a Google Play expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.