Apps that select the ‘News’ category but exhibit content that does not meet these requirements are not permitted in the News category of the Play Store. News apps that require a user to purchase a membership must provide a content preview for users prior to purchase.
News apps MUST:
- provide adequate information about the news publisher and its contributors including clear ownership, and
- have a website or in-app page that provides valid contact information for the news publisher.
News apps MUST NOT:
- contain significant spelling & grammar errors,
- contain only static content, and
- have affiliate marketing or ad revenue as its primary purpose.
News aggregator apps must be transparent about the publishing source of the content in the app and each of the sources must meet News policy requirements.