An app that declares itself as a "News" app in Play Console (“News apps”) must meet all of the following requirements.
News apps that require a user to purchase a membership must provide an in-app content preview for users prior to purchase.
News apps MUST:
- provide ownership information about the news publisher and its contributors including, but not limited to, the official website for the news published in your app, valid and verifiable contact information, and the original publisher of each article, and
- have a dedicated website or in-app page that is clearly labeled as containing contact information, is easy to find (e.g., linked at the bottom of the home page or in the site navigation bar), and provides valid contact information for the news publisher, including at least a contact email address and phone number.
Please note that links to social media accounts are not sufficient forms of publisher contact information. Additionally, apps that contain primarily user generated content (e.g., social media apps) should not declare themselves as News apps.
News apps MUST NOT:
- contain significant spelling & or grammatical errors,
- contain only static content (e.g., content that is several months old), and
- have affiliate marketing or ad revenue as its primary purpose.
Please note that News apps may use ads and other forms of marketing to monetize as long as the app’s primary purpose isn’t to sell products and services or generate advertising revenue.
News apps that aggregate content from different publishing sources must be transparent about the publishing source of the content in the app and each of the sources must meet News policy requirements.
Please consult this article for how best to provide required information.