Check your app’s download and install sizes
To help you build efficient apps that are optimised for size, you can check the download and install sizes of your app’s releases and find out how your app’s size has changed over time.
App size is one of the biggest factors that can affect your app’s install and uninstall metrics, so it’s important to regularly monitor and understand how you can reduce your app’s download and install sizes. Since the two sizes are related, here’s how they’re different from each other:
- Download size: The size of your app that users download on Google Play. When an app has a larger download size, it takes longer to download.
- Size on device (at time of installation): The amount of space required to install your app. Since apps are compressed when they’re downloaded, it can make install sizes larger than download sizes. When an app has a larger install size, more space is required on a user’s device to complete installation. Once the app is opened, its size on disk varies depending on app usage.
Note: All sizes are representative calculations based on your latest production release and the
XXXHDPI ARMv8 device configuration or the closest supported device configuration for your app.
Check and compare sizes
After you’ve released your app on a production track, here’s where you can see your app’s download and install sizes:
- Sign in to your Play Console.
- Select an app.
- On the left menu, click Android vitals > App size.
- Near the top of the screen, select the App download size or App size on device tab.
You can find the following data on your app’s download and install size tabs:
- Download size/Size on device: Your app’s size on a reference device and its size range across all device configurations.
- Download size/Size on device vs. peers: How your app’s size compares to peers.
- To create a custom peer group of 8-12 apps, click Edit peer group.
- Download size/Size on device over time: How your app’s size has changed and compares to peers over time.
- Near the top right of the chart, you can select the date range that you want to view and select the tick box to display your app’s size range across all device configurations.
View download size/size on device breakdowns
If you publish apps using the Android App Bundle, you can view a chart that’s organised by bundle version code with a breakdown of how much space different components of your app account for when compared to your app’s total download or install size.
You can use this breakdown to find out what parts of your app are taking up the most space and identify areas that you can further optimise for space. The breakdown is based on an APK generated from your app bundle for the reference device configuration.
View optimisation suggestions
Near the bottom of the page, you can view suggested optimisations for your app. If you publish your app using an APK, you’ll see a suggestion to use the Android App Bundle with an estimate of your potential size savings. If you publish your app using the Android App Bundle, a more thorough analysis is available, and you’ll see a list of suggested optimisations.
Each optimisation includes specific guidance on what changes to make and, when it’s possible to calculate an estimate, the potential size savings that you’d achieve by implementing the changes. Size estimates are independent estimates and are likely to be different if you implement multiple optimisations at the same time.