You can send money to anyone in the US with a QR code or with their name, phone number, or email address.
To send money to friends and family with Google Pay, you need an internet connection, a US phone number, and an email address.
Tip: You can send money to friends or family in Singapore and India. Learn how to send money internationally.
Send money with the new Google Pay app
Important: If you try to send money to someone not in your contact list, you'll get an alert. Before you send money, verify the phone number and name of the recipient.
You can send money to friends and family with a bank account or debit card. After you verify your identity, you can also send money with your Google Pay balance. The fastest method to send money to someone is usually with your Google Pay balance or a debit card.
If the person you want to send money to isn’t on the new Google Pay app or doesn’t allow people to search for them, you can still use a debit card or a Google Pay balance to send them money.
- Open the Google Pay app .
- On the Pay screen , tap a suggested friend. People you paid recently are ranked first.
- To search for someone by their name, email, phone, or QR code, tap Pay friend or group.
- Tap the contact you want to pay.
- You might get the message that the person may not have the Google Pay app or that they don’t allow people to search for them. You can still send them money with a debit card or your Google Pay balance.
- They’re sent instructions on how to claim the payment. If they don't claim it within 7 days, the request will expire.
- Tap Pay.
- Enter the amount.
- To describe your payment, you can add a note.
- There are limits on how much money you can send with Google Pay.
- Choose a payment method.
- Tap Pay.
Tip: If you have a problem when you send money, check the most common fixes.
- They haven't downloaded the new Google Pay app .
- They don't have a United States (US), Singapore (SG), or India (IN) phone number.
- They haven't opted in to the “Help People Find You” setting in Google Pay. If this setting isn't turned on, a person won't be searchable, unless you're already connected to them on Google Pay. The receiver can turn on this setting with these steps:
- Open the new Google Pay app .
- On the Pay screen , at the top right, tap your profile picture or Account .
- Tap Settings Privacy and Security How people find you on Google Pay.
- Turn on Help friends find and pay you.
You can search for someone in your contacts with their name, phone number, or email.
- If a person is in your device contacts, you should be able to search for them with their name.
- If a person isn't in your device contacts, to search for them, you need to type their full email address or phone number.