You can send money to anyone in the US with a QR code or with their name, phone number, or email address.
To send money to friends and family with Google Pay, you need:
- An internet connection
- A US phone number
- An email address
Send money with the new Google Pay app
You can send money to friends and family with a bank account or debit card. To send money with your Google Pay balance, verify your identity. The fastest method to send money to someone is with your Google Pay balance or a debit card.
If the person you want to send money to isn’t on the new Google Pay app or doesn’t allow people to search for them, you can still use a debit card or a Google Pay balance to send them money.
- Open the Google Pay app .
- On the Pay screen , tap a suggested friend. People you paid recently are listed first.
- To search for someone by their name, email, phone, or QR code, tap Pay friend or group.
- Tap the contact you want to pay.
- You might get the message that the person may not have the Google Pay app or that they don’t allow people to search for them. You can still send them money with a debit card or your Google Pay balance.
- They’re sent instructions on how to claim the payment. If they don’t claim it within 7 days, the request expires.
- Tap Pay.
- Enter the amount.
- To describe your payment, you can add a note.
- You can send money with Google Pay within the Google Pay limits.
- Choose a payment method.
- Tap Pay.
Common reasons why you can’t find someone
- They haven’t downloaded the new Google Pay app .
- They don’t have a phone number in:
- United States (US)
- Singapore (SG)
- India (IN)
- In Google Pay, they haven’t opted in to the “Help People Find You” setting.
- If this setting isn’t turned on, a person isn’t searchable unless you’re already connected to them on Google Pay.
To turn on the “Help People Find You” setting, the receiver must:
- Open the new Google Pay app .
- On the Pay screen , at the top right, tap your profile picture or Account .
- Tap Settings Privacy and Security How people find you on Google Pay.
- Turn on “Help friends find and pay you.”
You can search for someone in your contacts with their name, phone number, or email.
- If a person is in your device contacts: You should be able to search for them with their name.
- If a person isn’t in your device contacts: To search for them, you must enter their full email address or phone number.