You can make copies of the data on your device for safekeeping.
Where your phone data is stored
The info on your phone will be backed up in different places. If your backups are uploaded in Google, they're encrypted using your Google Account password.
Your backup will remain in your Google One account as long as you use your phone and connect to the internet.
What gets saved by Google One
- Original quality photos and videos (saved to Google Photos)
- Calendar meetings and events (saved to Google Calendar)
- Contact info like phone numbers and email addresses (saved to Google Contacts)
What gets saved by Apple iCloud Backup
- iMessages, SMS texts, and MMS messages
- App data
- Device settings
Start a backup
Tip: If you don’t have Wi-Fi nearby, it’s possible to back up your files with cellular data. If this uses too much of your data, turn off the cellular data option.
- On your iPhone, open the Google One app .
- At the top, tap Menu Settings Data backup settings.
- Choose the backup settings you want.
- To save copies of your data, tap Back up now.
- Until the back up process is complete, keep the Google One app open.
Fix problems with backup or restore
You can't start the backup process
- Make sure your device is online. If you're using mobile data, try connecting to Wi-Fi for a better connection.
- Make sure your phone battery is charged.
- Install or update the Google One app.
- In the Google One app , check your storage. If you're out of storage, do one of the following:
- Buy more storage
- Clear storage space
You can’t find everything you backed up
- For phone numbers and other contact info, check the Google Contacts website or app.
- For meetings and reminders, check the Google Calendar website or app.
- For photos and videos, check the Google Photos website or app.
If you’re missing data
Make sure to choose all the data types you want to back up.
- In the Google One app, tap Storage.
- Under “Your backup,” tap the Down arrow .
- Select all the data types you want to back up.
- If necessary, back up your files again.
If your media still won’t back up
You can manually upload your files.
Learn how to:
Delete your data backups
Google One members cannot make backups of their entire iPhone using Google One. However, they can back up some of their files to other Google products, like Photos, Calendar, and Drive.
To delete your files after backing them up, use the file management settings inside other Google apps. Learn how to: