/googlenest/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
-
5/17/19
How do I get Home to recognize "close" in stead of "turn off" 1 Recommended Answer 10 Replies 0 Upvotes
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
Hi I have home automation through a Google Home - Pariot bridge to my home automation system (connected as a Linked Service). In there, I have set up switches connected to the curtains. The switch is set up with the device name "curtains". I control them in multiple rooms,  with different Google mini's.

I can always open and close them by saying"Ok Google, Turn off the curtains" and "Turn on the curtains"

On some days I can say: "Ok Google, close the curtains" and she responds "Sure, turning off the curtains". Same with "Open the curtains"

But most of the times, she would respond: It looks like this device has not been set yet..."

So why does Google Home not consistently recognize the word "Close" and even worse, think the device does not exist when I used that word? There are some weeks it works perfect, and then weeks that it does not work most of the time.
All Replies (10)
5/18/19
Please contact your home automation or curtain company about your issue using their devices with Google Assistatn and reply here with your findings.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
5/18/19
Hi Pieter,

As James suggests, please report this to the appropriate third party developers. As a workaround, you may also wish to consider setting up a custom routine for the phrase "close the curtains".

Sandie
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
-
5/22/19
Thanks Sandie,
Unfortunately Custom Routines are not available in my Google Home.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
-
5/22/19
Sandy, James,
Not sure my question was clear. I have a switch. Anything could be connected to a switch. I just connected it to curtains. Google home recognizes it as a switch, with on and off. The switch works in Google home.

I gave the switch the alias "Curtains" in Google home. 

So my problem is not with my automation company.

My problem is that Google home recognizes "Turn of/on the <switch alias>" and inconsistently recognizes "Close/Open the <switch alias>". 

Some weeks it works every day, some weeks it does not at all. 
When it works, I say "Close the curtains", and she responds "Okay, turning off the curtains".

Just now I said "Open the Desk Light", and she answered, "Sorry, not sure how to help with that yet". I then said "Close the Desk Light", and she responded with "Okay, turning of the Desk" ("Desk" is the alias of one of my lights). I did that multiple times. I got variations in the answers, but with the same result. 

My ask is for consistency. I look forward to routines, if I can use it to teach google different words.

Thanks for your help,
Pieter
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
6/10/19
Thanks for the response Pieter, hopefully the Pariot updates will resolve these issues for you. I've taken a look at the Pairot website so in the future I'll know a little more about them!  
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/googlenest/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Marked as Recommended Answer
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic