/googlenest/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
-
Camera needs 2.4 Ghz to have a separate name 1 Recommended Answer 10 Replies 74 Upvotes
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
Hi everyone,
I have a security system with simplisafe, which comes with cameras. They need 2.4 Ghz. Every other device has no problem connecting to my Google Wifi, but when calling simplisafe about it, I found out the cameras get confused if the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks have the same name. Is it possible to give different names to the two different bandwidths in Google Wifi? Very frustrating! I understand Google is trying to take the technical work out of it for people, but that actually might mean my entire security system won't work with Google Wifi. If anyone has a workaround, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Details
Most Relevant Answer Most Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (10)
Most Relevant Answer
The camera actually doesn't know about the 5GHz band at all. But, your phone does. So, when using the phone to set up the camera, the phone needs to be on 2.4GHz (because the people who implemented the camera and setup app made some assumptions they really shouldn't have). To do this, just walk far enough away from your home to get your phone to switch to 2.4GHz before running the setup app that generates the QRCode the camera wants to see. Once the QRCode is on the phone's screen, walk back to where the camera is and show it to the camera so it can get the 2.4GHz setup information it needs.

Note: I do not have any Simplisafe products, but there are a fair number of products like it ("smart" plugs, appliances, etc.) that have been implemented in similar ways, and variations of the procedure described above have worked for those people. Either way, Simplisafe needs to update their setup procedure to stop making assumptions about their customers only having one BSSID.
marked this as an answer
Most relevant based on info available
-
Most Relevant Answer
Thanks so much! This gives me hope, although I tried it and it didn't work. Apparently with iPhones, there is no way to tell if the phone is connected to 5g or 2.4. I walked far away from my house (until it was not connected to the wifi network) before running the setup and generating a qr code. It still did not respond. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Perhaps I need to find someone with a different kind of phone...
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
I would say you need to be connected when you generate that QRCode – you just need to be connected at 2.4GHz. You can use the Google WiFi management app to check the details of your iPhone to see which band and access point it's connected to. You can walk around a bit until you get it on 2.4GHz before running the setup app. I don't have simplisafe, though, so I can't guarantee this trick will work – I've just heard it work for similar situations.
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
I am also having trouble setting up my 2.4ghz cameras to google wifi.  I have iPhone. What is the google wifi management  app named in app store.  I would like to use it to try and walk around to get my phone to connect the 2.4 ghz as suggested in previous posts.
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
Thanks for the tip! When you restarted your Google WiFi, did you do a “restart network” or “Factory reset” ... I see both options in the Google WiFi app.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/googlenest/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Marked as Recommended Answer
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic