We've moved! Check out our community and ask a question at googlenestcommunity.com

/googlenest/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Google Play Movies & TV not working on Google Home.
My daughter tried launching a show she bought from Google Play Movies & TV on our Google Home Hub by voice and instead of starting the show like normal, it launches a strange YouTube playlist. Yesterday the content played by voice on the Hub and our Chromecasts flawlessly. I restarted everything including phones and Chromebooks and tried again with the same result, a weird YouTube playlist. I haven't changed anything in our setup recently. I also tried launching the same content on my phone only with the same result. We own several things on Play Movies & TV and launching by voice was the easiest way for my daughter to start her shows. Anyone else having this issue?
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (36)
Relevant Answer
Hi Brian,

What country are you using your device from?
Also what language settings are you using for your Google assistant and on the mobile device you use the Google Home app with?

Linked below is the Google Home help center information about what video services are available for each country/language. These language settings can be adjusted at the bottom of the page.

Regards,
Cathal
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm using my devices in the United States, all language settings are default, US English. I know what video services are linked and usable by voice. If you read my original post, the second sentence states my daughter was launching content from Google Play Movies & TV yesterday by saying the show name and it was working fine. This morning the same command to play a show started a strange YouTube music playlist. My daughter was asking for the Backyardigans and it started an adult playlist instead. It automatically defaulted to Google Play as it was our only linked service that provides Backyardigans, as we bought the content, so it's in our Google family library.

Sorry it originally defaulted to Google Play, now I'm not sure what its doing other than playing strange songs on YouTube Music. We own several episodes and in the past just saying "Hey or Ok Google play the Backyardigans" would start an episode on Google Play Movies & TV instantly. Now even asking for it by specific episode and service it can't find it or launches that previously mentioned YouTube Music playlist. Hope the extra info helps.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi again,

Can you please try a fully formatted command as per the Google Home help center link above.

“Watch Backyardigans <from Google Play Movies> <on Chromecast or Google Home Hub full name>"

You can also use the digital wellbeing feature to make sure that adult content is filtered out of any false search commands.

Regards,
Cathal
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I tried it the exact way listed on the Google help thing and many other ways as well but it's still not working. I am going to attach a screen shot from my activity showing it working in the past, but not working today. If you read the what was said in both there is no explanation for it not to work today. Even saying play, and not watch.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have also submitted feedback on this through the assistant and Home app. There is something broken on my end or on Google. I know for a fact nothing has changed on mine and besides restarting everything I don't know what to do. I'm not factory resetting everything over the Backyardigans. I can watch plenty of content without Google. Thanks for the help.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am a UK user and after testing my Google Play Movies are working ok I will ask other Google Home product experts that are based in the US if they are having any issues or have any further advice.

Regards,
Cathal
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you. I could understand if I was doing something wrong but after comparing past and current activity there is no explanation for it not to work. It is very frustrating for my young daughter though.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have tried buying a new movie on Google Play Movies to see if it would sync things back up, but it didn't help. New movie purchased today and content previously acquired from Google Play doesn't launch by voice on any of my devices, smartphones, Google Home Hub, or on Chromecast through a request on Google Home and Mini speakers.

At this point I have exhausted all options besides a factory reset to all my devices, which I am not doing as our whole home is covered and it's to many things to reconnect afterwards. I am 99% sure this is something Google broke as content won't even voice launch on my phone. Hopefully it straightens out or I'll be buying Backyardigans from Amazon and getting my daughter an Alexa, which seems dumb since I have more than a dozen Google assistant devices in my home, but I need her to be able to launch her content as she could before. Thank you for your help and if you have anymore input I'd really appreciate it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same problem. Using the full form command, it just responds by saying, I'm sorry I don't work with Google Play Movies and TV shows yet. Hilarious that Netflix (a competitor) works perfectly and Google can't support their own store.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I changed the language setting on the assistant from English UK to English US this change now allows Google play movies to cast via voice control.

Not a perfect fix but a work around the only downside to this work around is the voice on the assistant has changed to a US accent. 

Google should be able to fix this issue with ease. Time to start listening to your customers
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/googlenest/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic