With Google Nest Hub Max and Assistant-enabled smart displays, you can start or join video meetings with friends, family and colleagues. This feature is available in English in the US, UK, Canada and Australia. Displays without cameras can receive video, but cannot send video.
Video meeting providers
Video meetings are available through the following providers:
Note: For now, video meetings are not available on Nest Hub, Nest Hub (2nd gen), Lenovo Smart Display 7 or Smart Clock displays. Zoom meetings are only available on Nest Hub Max.
Before you start
- You’ll need a Google Account to create or join a meeting.
- Download the latest version of the Google Home app and the Google Assistant app.
- Google Workspace accounts are currently only supported in beta. Google Workspace administrators can sign up at https://g.co/gSuiteAssistantBeta.
Host a meeting
You can create a meeting directly from your display or schedule a meeting in advance with Google Calendar.
To start video meetings with your Nest Hub Max or another smart display, you’ll need to link your video meeting provider account to your Google Account first. Note: Google Meet is automatically linked to your display with your Google Account.
Start a meeting on your display
To create a new meeting
Say 'Hey Google, start a meeting', or tap the Meet or Zoom card on your display.
Invite people to a new meeting
- There are two ways to share meeting info with others:
- Share the meeting code: Your display will generate a new meeting code. You can write down this code and share it with people directly.
- Invite through the Google Assistant app: Tap the notification from the Google Assistant app.
- Each person that you invite can request to join the meeting.
- When someone requests to join the meeting, you can admit or block them on your display:
- To let them in, tap Admit.
- To block them, tap Deny entry or Remove.
Note: Meeting codes and meeting IDs expire when they are unused for a period of time. Check with your meeting provider for how long their meeting codes or meeting IDs last to avoid using expired codes. Find out more about Google Meet meeting codes.
Schedule a meeting with Google Calendar
When you schedule a meeting in advance, your guests will get an email with the event info and a link to join the video meeting. Learn more about how to create events in Calendar.
Note: Guests can forward the meeting link to other people. If someone who wasn't invited tries to join your event, or an invited guest tries to join the meeting with a different email address, they can only enter if you accept their request to join.
Join a meeting
You can join a meeting by entering a meeting code or through the calendar events on your display.
Join with a meeting code
- Say 'Hey Google, join a meeting', or tap the Google Meet or Zoom card on your display.
- If prompted, Enter a meeting code.
- Enter the meeting code or meeting ID and password if provided from the organiser.
- Tap Join now or Join.
The meeting code is the string of letters at the end of the meeting link. You don't have to enter hyphens.
Join a scheduled meeting
Meetings on your Google Calendar are listed on your display.
- On your display, swipe left to find events on your calendar.
- Tap the calendar event that you want to join.
- Tap Join with Google Meet or Join with Zoom.
During the meeting
Meeting controls vary, depending on the meeting provider and device that you use. If the following instructions don’t match the controls on your display, look for something similar or check with your meeting provider for additional details.
When you use a Google Assistant voice command in a meeting and your mic is on, others will perceive you say 'Hey Google', then your mic will be muted while you complete your request. If your video is on, your mic will be muted the same, but the camera feed will continue to stream.
Mute or unmute your audio
Turn your camera on or off
Pin or unpin participants
With Google Meet, you can pin someone’s feed to keep them visible on your screen throughout the meeting. This will switch your meeting layout from grid view to sidebar view. Unpinning will switch your view back to grid view.
To pin a participant, double-tap their video feed. To unpin, double-tap their video feed again.
This can also be done by tapping a participant’s feed More options Pin or Unpin.
This feature may not be available with all meeting providers or may function differently depending on your service. Check with your meeting provider for more info on what options they provide.
To remove someone from a call with Google Meet:
- Tap More options About this call.
- Next to the participant that you want to remove, tap Remove .
Note: Only the meeting organiser can remove participants from a call.
For other meeting providers, look for similar instructions related to participants or check with your meeting provider for more info.
Check who's in your meeting and meeting info
You can find a list of all callers and meeting info, such as the meeting link and dial-in numbers.
Tap Participants or More options About this call.
Check in-call messages
Turn captions on or off
With Google Meet, tap More options Turn on/off captions .
Note: Captions are currently only supported for spoken English.
Leave a meeting
To leave a meeting, say 'Hey Google, hang up' or tap End call . If you leave your meeting with Google Meet and want to return to the call, tap Rejoin.
Link your video meeting provider
Linking your account allows you to use your meeting provider account with your display to create and join meetings.
Note: Google Meet is automatically linked.
- On your mobile device, open the Google Home app .
- At the top right, tap your account.
- Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your speaker or display. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
- Go back to the home screen, then tap Settings .
- Scroll to 'Services,' then tap Voice and video calls Video & Voice Apps.
- Select an available meeting provider.
- Follow the in-app steps for your provider to link your account.