Learn how Remind Me notifications work and how to use them
You can get a Remind Me notification when Nest Secure isn’t armed or if the Nest × Yale Lock is unlocked after the last person has left home.
Remind Me notifications help you remember to arm or disarm your security system. They also help remind you to lock the Nest × Yale Lock when you’ve left home.
Important: You should always use a passcode on your phone to prevent unwanted access.
How Remind Me notifications work
After you’ve left home home
- If you’re the last person to leave home, Remind Me can notify you as soon as your phone detects that you’ve left home.
For Nest Secure, you can arm your system without opening the Nest app by selecting Set the alarm when you get a Remind Me notification.
For the Nest × Yale Lock, you can lock your door without opening the Nest app by selecting Lock when Remind Me asks you if you’d like to lock the door.
If you have both Nest Secure and the Nest × Yale Lock, you can arm your system and lock your door by selecting Lock and set when you get a Remind Me notification.
- If you didn’t respond to the notification, your home will switch to Away mode once Nest is sure your home is unoccupied. Remind Me will then ask you and other people who share access to your home if the alarm should be armed.
When you’re arriving home
- If you’re the first person to come home, you can get a Remind Me notification asking if you want to disarm Nest Secure.
- For Nest Secure, you can disarm your system by selecting Turn off the alarm when Remind Me asks you if you’d like to disarm.
- When you disarm Nest Secure, your home will automatically switch to Home mode if it isn’t already.
Other things to consider
- Everyone who uses the app to share access to the Nest home can get a Remind Me notification, even if someone else was the last person to leave the home.
- When you arm Nest Secure or lock the Nest × Yale Lock with the Remind Me notification, your home will switch to Away mode, which can change the behavior of other Nest products in your home (for instance, your thermostat may switch to Eco Temperature).
- You can set Nest Secure to Home and Guarding even if everyone has left. However, if you do this your home will eventually switch to Away mode if there’s no activity. When it does, you’ll get a Remind Me notification asking if you want to change the security level to Away and Guarding.
- Remind Me notifications depend on whether your home is in Home or Away mode. So to help your home switch as accurately as possible, make sure everyone is using their phone's location with Home/Away Assist. For more information about when your home will automatically switch between Home and Away modes, see the following article: How Home/Away Assist decides to switch your home to Home or away.
- Notifications are provided for convenience and should not replace ordinary care in locking your door or arming your Nest Secure.
How to enable or disable Remind Me notifications
Note: If you have both Nest Secure and the Nest × Yale Lock Remind Me notifications enabled, you’ll get a combined notification with the option to lock the door and arm your system when leaving.
Remind Me is turned on by default. However, there are two
Nest × Yale Lock
Remind Me is turned on by default when you first set up the Nest x Yale Lock. If you activated the lock before August 2019, you will need to enable this feature in Settings .
There are also two important requirements for Remind Me with Nest x Yale Lock to work best:
- You must have Home/Away Assist turned on for the Nest × Yale Lock.
- Everyone sharing access to your home should have their phone’s location helping with Home/Away Assist.
- Tap Settings on the Nest app home screen.
- Select Home/Away Assist.
- Select your lock.
- If it’s not turned on already, tap the switch to turn on Use phone location with your lock?
- Select Remind Me and tap the switch to enable notification reminders to lock your door.
Note: If you have more than one lock with Remind Me notifications enabled, you’ll get a notification for each lock in your home.
Troubleshooting Remind Me notifications
- Remind Me must be turned on in the Nest app and Home/Away Assist must be set to arm or disarm the system when your home switches between Home and Away modes. See the section above for instructions.
- Everyone sharing access to your home should to have their phone’s location helping with Home/Away Assist.
- If people who share access to your home have phone location turned off, they may not get Remind Me notifications if they’re the last to leave or first to come back. They may also get Remind Me notifications asking to arm the alarm if they’re still at home.
- People should bring their phones with them when they leave. If someone heads out the door but leaves their phone at home, Home/Away Assist will think they’re still there and won’t send a Remind Me notification to arm.