Troubleshooting Home/Away Assist
Home/Away Assist can use both Nest product sensor data and your phone’s location to tell when you’ve left the house and when you’ve come back. Here are some troubleshooting tips if your Nest thermostat didn’t switch to or out of Eco Temperature as you expected, if your camera didn’t turn on or off, or if your home didn’t switch modes.
Check Activity History with the app
A quick look in the app will tell you why and when your home switched between modes.
Don’t share your email and password
Your camera didn’t switch as expected
Your thermostat has trouble switching to or out of Eco Temperature
- Make sure your thermostat is set to automatically switch to Eco Temperature. Go to Settings Home/Away Assist to check.
- Check that someone else with shared access didn’t manually change the temperature causing your thermostat to switch from Eco Temperature to heating.
- If your thermostat was manually set to Eco Temperature, it won’t automatically switch back to heating when someone comes home. Manually set it to heating, and it will resume automatically switching again.
- Nest thermostats are designed to live in one place and shouldn’t be moved around. If your thermostat was moved from its original location, either move it back or reset Away so it can learn about its new location. Use the app for convenient remote control wherever you are in your home.
Your home didn’t change modes
- If you have pets, and Nest products are in rooms that your pets use often, remove them from the list of things that are helping in Settings Home/Away Assist.
- Check that your phone isn’t in airplane mode, and that cellular or mobile data is enabled.
- Go to Settings Home/Away Assist and check to see that your location is correct at the top of the screen. If you’re at home, Home should be blue. If your location isn’t right, go to Settings Home info > Address to check that your home’s location on the map is correct.
This is a short summary of our online help article. Please use a web browser to visit support.nest.com and search for this article to get detailed help.
We’re sorry for the inconvenience. Apple prevents iOS developers from linking to pages, such as Nest’s website, that permit commercial transactions outside of an app. For this reason, we can’t simply link from the app to our normal online help article.