Troubleshooting Home/Away Assist
Home/Away Assist can use both Nest product sensor data and your phone’s location to tell when you’ve left the house and when you’ve come back. Here are some troubleshooting tips if your Nest thermostat didn’t switch to or out of Eco Temperatures as you expected, if your camera didn’t turn on or off, or if your home didn’t switch modes.
Here are some basic troubleshooting steps if you have issues with your home switching modes or if any of your Nest products aren’t switching their behavior as you expect.
Check Activity History with the app
A quick look in the app will tell you why and when your home switched between modes.
Don’t share your email and password
If you use the Nest app for iPhone/iOS
Make sure that Background App Refresh is enabled and switched on for the Nest app. The Nest app needs this feature turned on for Home/Away Assist to work.
If you have an iPhone X or later, or an iPad, follow these steps to turn on Background App Refresh:
- Swipe up from the bottom to the middle of your screen and hold until you see the App Switcher.
- Swipe left or right to find the app that you want to use.
- Tap the app.
If you have a Smart Keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard paired to your iPad, press Command-Tab to switch between apps.
In some cases, things like force quitting the Nest app can cause issues with Home/Away Assist. If you notice that your home isn’t switching between Home and Away modes when it should, try quitting and restarting the Nest app. If that doesn’t work, you can also try restarting your phone.
Your camera didn’t switch as expected
Your thermostat has trouble switching to or out of Eco Temperatures
- Make sure your thermostat is set to automatically switch to Eco Temperatures. Go to Settings Home/Away Assist to check.
- Check that someone else with shared access didn’t manually change the temperature and cause your thermostat to switch from Eco Temperature to heating or cooling.
- If your thermostat was manually set to Eco Temperatures, it won’t automatically switch back to heating or cooling when someone comes home. Manually set it to your preferred heating or cooling mode, and it will resume automatic switching again.
Your home didn’t change modes
- If you have pets, and Nest products are in rooms that your pets use often, remove them from the list of things that are helping in Settings Home/Away Assist.
- Check that your phone isn’t in airplane mode and that cellular or mobile data is enabled.
- Go to Settings Home/Away Assist and check to see that your location is correct at the top of the screen. If you’re at home, Home should be blue. If your location isn’t right, go to Settings Home info Address to check that your home’s location on the map is correct.
This is a short summary of our online help article. Please use a web browser to visit support.nest.com and search for this article to get detailed help.
We’re sorry for the inconvenience. Apple prevents iOS developers from linking to pages, such as Nest’s website, that permit commercial transactions outside of an app. For this reason, we can’t simply link from the app to our normal online help article.